Thursday, May 20, 2010

Clothes Line Love

Hi, my name is Beth (or Bess...or Elizabeth...whatever you prefer to call me), and I'm a recovering dryer-aholic.


I have been almost completely dryer-free for about 1 month, turning it on for probably 20 minutes total during that time. My husband put up a clothes line, which started the dryer weaning. Before the clothes line installation, I abused my dryer usage, turning it on for almost any and all things washed.


Now?


I abuse my clothes line usage, hanging up any and all things washed. I even put socks and *gasp* underwear on the drying rack, mostly out of the view of neighbors. (Except for when a certain four year old grabs my bright blue undies and wears them around her waist, parading outside for all to see while I cook dinner inside. That day, everyone knew all about my undies.)


I don't do laundry on rainy days...it just piles up until the next sunny-skies day and is usually clean-dry-done by dinnertime. Yeah, the "piling up" gets to me, but it's a small price to pay for a lower electric bill and a feeling of accomplishment. I love having a clothes line so much that my handy Hubby installed not just one clothes line, but three.



Don't ask me what I'm going to do in the winter. I don't want to think about it yet.

6 comments:

Aimee said...

Yay! I'm a clothes-line girl too! LOVE IT! Just wish the cloth diapers would dry faster!

kiersten said...

i really miss mine.. i need a new one but that is kinda low on the "to do" list

Sara said...

My mom remembers how my grandmother hung out my uncle and grandpa's pants in winter (in Maine no less) then brought them in frozen and stood them up to thaw.

Julie J said...

I have clothes line envy.... can't get my man to hang one!!

Ruth Feeney said...

No place to put a clothes line here, but I do have a portable dry rack. It has several rows for everything. Try that for the winter time.

Stephanie said...

Cool! I haven't seen a clothes line in use in ages.

How do the clothes "feel" after they are dry? Any different than when you used a dryer? I'm curious.

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net