Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I'm a Brooklynite at heart

Every time we go to the city of my birth, my heart skips a beat and my driving seems to get a little more offensive than it normally is. ;o) Could it be the bridges? Or the sites to take in? Maybe reminiscing on Grandma Markey's apartment and going there as a child when Dad still worked in the city? Ahh, memories!



This past weekend proved no different. We celebrated my cousin's wedding on Friday night, in the record 107° heat. In a church without the A/C turned on. Yeah, you read that one right...imagine sweat dripping from places you didn't know it could drip from, big fans to circulate the hot air, and men with handkerchiefs glued to their foreheads...and everyone in tuxes/suits or nice dresses. And it was all totally worth it to see Keith and Brianne get married!











The gorgeous couple!




My dad, my uncle (dad's only brother), and my mama



The wedding was followed by a reception at one of the most awesome reception locations I think we have ever been to. Giando on the Water, literally right on the water between the Williamsburg Bridge and the Manhattan Bridge, with the Brooklyn Bridge and Empire State Building all within site. Seriously, coolest location EVER. Plus, it was in the neighborhood where my Mama grew up, so it was even more meaningful.




Good food, great times with family that we, unfortunately, don't get to see much...and dancing, dancing, dancing! Hubby isn't much of a dancer, but he knew my inner need to be on the dance floor and ended up wanting to be out there more than I did! (He didn't have on shoes that made his pinky toe feel like it was going to explode.)


The Markey clan!



We also got to party with John Stamos...Uncle Jesse! :o) (Okay, okay...if it wasn't him, it was definitely his doppelganger!)






We stayed in the city that night and spent Saturday exploring Manhattan: Times Square, most of the neighborhoods, lots of stores (not a lot of buying), and all of Central Park. No, really...we walked and ran some of the park, then biked the entire park. So fun, despite the heat!














Hot, sweaty, but definitely tons of fun and much needed! Brooklyn family, we NEED another get-together soon!

2 comments:

Aimee said...

That looks like so much fun! NYC is one of my very favorite places to visit. There's just nothing like it!

Anonymous said...

Beth, I just read your post of July 26th. on Steven''s sight. You put it down in such an amazing way, describing it all in detail, I love it. Love the pictures. I m so glad you and Curt had such a good time. Yes, we need to get together more often. love Nana