Sunday, July 25, 2010

Tasty Tuesday (late and early): Healthy Snacks to Go!

Here's a Tasty Tuesday that will need to count for two weeks, since I'm late on last week and early on this week. Oh, well...it's my blog, so I call the shots.


:o)



Many of you know of my effort to eat healthful foods and to feed my family properly. We're trying to buy less pre-packaged and processed foods, replacing them with homemade versions. Not the easiest thing to do, especially if a certain husband needs his lunch and snacks packed each day and there aren't a ton of recipes out there to make great-tasting snacks that replicate the common snack foods we find at the grocery store.


However, my friend, Sarah, introduced me to a H.U.G.E. help! Katie over at Kitchen Stewardship wrote an eBook, Healthy Snacks to Go, that has over 20 incredible recipes for delicious snacks that can easily be packed into a lunch. And guess what? I had the opportunity to try out a few recipes. Here is my all-time favorite from her eBook:



Kitchen Stewardship Granola Bars with Peanut Butter

(I must warn you: I made a batch of these, my kids love them, and I CANNOT stop eating them!)


4 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. natural peanut butter
1 c. whole wheat or spelt flour
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. honey
2 c. mini chocolate chips


Lightly grease a 9x13 glass pan. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the butters and honey until melted and thoroughly combined. Allow the mixture to cool. Mix remaining ingredients, except chocolate chips, in a large bowl. Pour liquid into the bowl and beat thoroughly. Stir in the chocolate chips my hand. Press mixture firmly into the pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes or until slightly golden brown. (The bars do not have to look or feel "done" but will be quite moist.) Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then cut into bars. Let the bars cool completely in the pan before removing and serving. Store at room temperature or freeze for longer freshness.



Seriously, these bars remind me of Quaker Oatmeal bars!
I have already made a version of her Powerbars (she has TONS of variations!), and my next try will be the Wheat Thin Style Crackers.
Care to have her eBook? Well, Katie so graciously set up a link so you guys can read about and buy the book. For only $6.95, I believe it's well worth it!


https://www.e-junkie.com/ecom/gb.php?cl=114298&c=ib&aff=125673

No comments: